Preston Tower
Preston Tower is almost unique in having an extension built on top of the original tower, in a different
architectural style, instead of the customary addition of an extra wing at ground level. The main tower of
about 67 feet was constructed in the 15th century of the soft red sandstone common to East Lothian, while
in the upper storeys, built about 200 years later, a lighter coloured stone was used. This upper part
displays Renaissance mouldings around the windows.
By the marriage of Sir Robert Hamilton to Jane, daughter of Sir James Liddle of Preston, the estate of
Preston came into the possession of the Hamilton family, and on these lands Sir Robert constructed the
original tower The upper part was added some 200 years later by Sir John Hamilton (1565 - 1644).
In 1684, the estates were forfeited and the baronetcy ultimately lapsed. Fortunately, however, the title
was successfully claimed in 1816 by Sir William Hamilton, a professor of Logic and Metaphysics, who
purchased the old tower and surrounding ground.
In recent years the building has been conserved, as has the fine example of a 17th century doocot just 100
yards to the north of the tower.
This article was used with permission of Thomas Carrol Woods, webmaster of Prestonpans
Links: |
Thursday, December 26th, 2019
Attention visitors: Tartans.com is back. Please note that this is a snapshot of the site as it existed nearly 20 years ago and you may encounter broken links; we are still combing through the site and correcting those as we find them. Please also note that some sections are currently not functional, primarily the discussion forums/clan chat boards.
** HOME - First Time Visitors - Glossary - - Contact Us ** Awards | Bibliography | Clan Calendar | Clan Chat | Clan Finder | History | Famous Scots | Genealogy | Great Hall of the Clans | Links | News and Features | Scots on the Net | Search | Site Map The Gathering of the Clans
Copyright 1995- Tartans.com - All Rights Reserved. |